The building of the West Kowloon Magistrates' Courts in Hong Kong on Dec 3, 2020. (CALVIN NG/CHINA DAILY)
A man who police say has been soliciting foreign governments to launch military action to “free Hong Kong” and organizing crowdfunding for military use appeared in West Kowloon Magistrates’ Courts on Thursday afternoon.
Wong, who used to live in the UK, was reported to be a core member of the UK-based separatist group Hong Kong Independence Party, and was allegedly responsible for managing the group’s social media platforms
The 40-year-old man, surnamed Wong, was charged with spreading seditious separatism messages online. He had been arrested by Hong Kong police on Monday.
ALSO READ: CE: HK should still guard against national security risks
Wong, who used to live in the UK, was reported to be a core member of the UK-based separatist group Hong Kong Independence Party, and was allegedly responsible for managing the group’s social media platforms.
Police on Wednesday said the man has allegedly been posting seditious messages on social media platforms since September 2019.
Police said the man recently returned to Hong Kong from the UK. Instead of living in his original residence on Lantau Island, he has been staying at a hotel in Hung Hom. Police officers also seized electronic communication devices believed to be used for spreading seditious messages after searching his home.
ALSO READ: Experts: Blockchain to innovate payment systems
Wong was charged with violation of the Article 9 and 10 of the Crimes Ordinance, which stipulates that anyone who conducts or attempts acts with seditious intentions shall be liable to a fine and a two-year imprisonment for their first offense, and three-years’ imprisonment for a subsequent offenses.